Bartlow, Cambridgeshire Genealogy
Guide to Bartlow, Cambridgeshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Cambridgeshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Linton|
|Parish registers: 1573|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cambridgeshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BARTLOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 2 miles ESE from Linton. The church has a circular tower, of Norman architecture, said to have been built in the eleventh century; the body of the building is of the fifteenth century. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans in the hamlet of Bartlow.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Bartlow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Bartlow Online Parish Records|
Church of England: Bartlow, St. Mary
- Parish registers for Bartlow, 1573-1876 are on FHL Film # 1040366 Items 10-16 at the Family History Library or through a Family History Center.
- Bishop Transcripts for Bartlow, 1600-1862 are on FHL Film # 1818361 at the Family History Library or through a Family History Center.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cambridgeshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Bartlow on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 08 January 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.