- 1 Quick Facts
- 2 City Hall
- 3 Resources
- 4 ==
- 5 References
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Former name[edit | edit source]
Geographic location[edit | edit source]
City Hall[edit | edit source]
P.O. Box 39
Bancroft, Idaho 83217
Resources[edit | edit source]
Biography[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
There are many cemeteries in Caribou County list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Caribou a County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
Church History and Records[edit | edit source]
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints[edit | edit source]
Current[edit | edit source]
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
311 South Main Street
Bancroft, ID 83217
==[edit | edit source]
Historical[edit | edit source]
Many of the original records of church units are in the Church History Library in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its Family History Centers. Records of the Bancroft Ward (1907-1948) (found under Bannock County) are included.
Episcopal[edit | edit source]
Presbyterian[edit | edit source]
Roman Catholic[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
The Idaho State Archives in Boise has a collection of city, county, regional and state directories.
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Marsh Valley Funeral Home
421 Center St
McCammon, Idaho 83250
Ghost Town[edit | edit source]
5 miles south of Bancroft near at the corner of Linden Canyon and Fish Creek roads sits the Lund Store. The Lund Store is on the Hudson Cut off on the Oregon Trail (below historical site on Fish Creek). The well is the pioneer watering hole. A pioneer cemetery and much history can be found in this valley. A well known paranormal team investigated the store and found high electrical readings in the store with no electricity. Many voice recordings, a wheel chair slamming the wall while everyone watched in awe. The store is being restored by relatives of some of the first settlers in the valley. The store has security and no trespassing signs. The store will soon be a home.
History[edit | edit source]
When the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built through Idaho, a station known as Squaw Creek Station was established on a small stream know as Squaw Creek, where a water tank was built, and also a saw mill owned by Joseph Tolman a Latter-day Saint, who lived in Chesterfield. John Ashton took up a ranch about one and a half miles southwest of the station and burned line. Other settlers came in later and Ira Call opened the first store in the station. The community was named for William H. Bancroft, railroad executive. The total population of the Bancroft Precinct was 587 in 1930.
Additional history of Bancroft, Idaho and the early Latter-day Saint settlers there can be found in:
Andrew Jenson. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Company, 1941, p. 40.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
Minorities[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Historical[edit | edit source]
Copies of a Bancroft newspaper entitled the Bancroft Standard for 28 Jan. 1933 through 28 Dec. 1934 are in the Idaho State Archives in Boise.
The North Gem Journal was a weekly newspaper published in Bancroft. It was advertised as a "supplement to the Soda Springs Sun." Copies for 1 May 1847 through 18 May 1948 (at which time its publication was suspended) are available online at Ancestry.com ($).
[edit | edit source]
School Records[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]