Bagthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy
|Poor Law Union||Docking|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Bagthorpe St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Norfolk.
The church is situated in a lane in the hamlet close by Bagtorpe Hall. It was declared redundnat some time ago and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust although services are still held there on an occasional basis.
BAGTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (E.) from Great Bircham. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Bagthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BAGTHORPE PARISH (1562) Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 37
Parish registers for Bagthorpe
Microfilm copy of original in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, 1561-1776; marriages, 1561-1753; burials, 1561-1777. Baptisms, 1778-1813; burials, 1778-1806. Baptisms, 1813-1906. Marriages, 1756-1810; marriage banns, 1802-1804. Marriages, 1813-1837, 1850. Marriages, 1837-1905. Burials, 1814-1916. Marriage banns, 1844-1913. Burial transcripts, 1883-1887. FHL BRITISH Film 1911508 Items 10 - 18
There is a known issue in relation to England Vital Records Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Baptisms entered for this parish have been found to be from Rollesby, Norfolk on this film and in indexing batch I07258-3
Archdeacons transcripts Bagthorpe
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms 1725-1812 Marriages 1725-1810 Burials 1725-1807 FHL BRITISH Film 1526789 Item 11
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
- 1597 Subsidy Taxes:Transcribed by Geoff Lowe and housed on Norfolk Transcription Archives
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Bagthorpe on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 128-132. Date Accessed: 29 August 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 7 October 2013.