Backwell, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Backwell, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Andrew's Backwell Somerset
|Hundred||Hartcliffe and Bedminster|
|Poor Law Union||Bedminster|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
BACKWELL (St. Andrew), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Hartcliffe with Bedminster, E. division of Somerset, 7¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Bristol, containing the hamlets of Churchtown, Downside, Farley, Moorside, and West-town.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Church records are the main source for identifying people prior to 1837 when civil registration began. It is also a main source after 1837 in conjunction with civil registration. The Church of England was formed in 1536, after King Henry VIII severed all ties to the church in Rome. Each local parish was responsible to register all marriages, baptisms and burials starting in 1538  .
Backwell, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|BACKWELL PARISH Online Records|
Church records on microfilm[edit | edit source]
- Bishop's transcripts for Backwell (Church of England), 1598-1812
- Bishop's transcripts for Backwell (Church of England), 1598-1867
Church Vital Records
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
In 1692 the British government instituted another innovative scheme to increase revenue which came to be known as the land tax .
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed: 11 September 2013.
- England Church Records
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 19 February 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- Land Tax Assessment Records
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.