Babingley, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Babingley, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Freebridge Lynn|
|Registration District||Freebridge Lynn|
|Parish registers: 1662|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Babingley St Mary and St Felix is an ancient parish with two churches or more accurately the old ruined church of St Felix and it's replacement "tin Tabernacle."
The chapel of St Felix is unique in East Anglia, and perhaps in England, as a thatched, cruciform 'tin tabernacle', a corrugated iron building constructed from a kit, probably made by Boulton and Paul of Norwich.
It was declared redundant by the Church of England and acquired by the British Orthodox church. When Anglicans locally rejected the ordination of women within the Church Of England they did not feel comfortable with conversion to Roman Catholicism but embraced the Orthodox tradition.
BABINGLEY (St. Felix), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Babingley, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Babingley, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
- 1705 Image 360
- 1722-1723 Image 15
- 1874-1875 Image 1
- 1865-1871 Image 2
- 1865-1868 Image 3
- 1868-1874 Image 4
This parish does not appear on Record Search as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication
|Baptisms 1630-1636, 1668-1812 Marriages 1636, 1679-1798 Burials 1630, 1668-1797||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526742 Item 5
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/FreebridgeLynn/
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Freebridge Lynn
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Babingley on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 124-128. Date accessed: 29 August 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Babingley', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.