|Australia Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
The first newspaper in Australia, the weekly Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser, began publication in 1802. Other newspapers soon followed. Notices of births, marriages, and deaths; obituaries, military, government and business notices; and news of the day were printed in these newspapers. The Historic Australian Newspapers, 1803 to 1954 project is digitizing many early newspapers.
Google news has put the Sydney Morning Herald on-line. The images start with 1854 and continue to the present. It is not a complete run but still worth your time. It is free to use and view the newspaper but you cannot print or copy the image.
Some compilations have been made of the genealogical information found in early newspapers. The following is an example for Queensland.
Grinly, Merle, and Margaret Belcher, Editors. Crosse- Dunleavy index: births, marriages, and deaths, 1846–1860. Stones Corner, Queensland, Australia: The Genealogical Society of Queensland, 1985. (Family History Library book number 994.3 B32c.)
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Australian Newspapers, ($), index and images.
- Australia Newspaper Vital Notices, 1851-1997, ($), index, incomplete.
- Australian Periodical Publications 1840-1845
- Trove digitized newspapers
- Australian Lutheran, ($), index.
- Western Australia Newspapers.
- Finding Information in Newspapers
- Newspapers and News
Ryerson Index[edit | edit source]
"The Ryerson Index is an index to death notices appearing in current Australian newspapers. It also includes some funeral notices, probate notices and obituaries.
"Because the Index was originally created by the Sydney Dead Persons Society, it concentrates on notices from NSW papers. However, the representation from papers from other states continues to grow, with additional papers being regularly added, so that the Index can now truly be considered an Australian index....
"The index itself cannot by definition be considered a primary source of data, but is purely a research aid to direct the researcher to the original source of a notice."
Family History Library Collection[edit | edit source]
To find newspapers and compilations available in the Family History Library, look in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - NEWSPAPERS
Bibliographies of existing newspapers are also available. The following is an example:
- Newspapers in Australian Libraries: A Union List. Fourth Edition. Canberra, Australia: National Library of Australia, 1984–1985. FHL books 994 B33n 1984 pts. 1 and 2
To find newspaper bibliographies, look in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
AUSTRALIA - NEWSPAPERS - BIBLIOGRAPHY
AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - NEWSPAPERS - BIBLIOGRAPHY
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Newspapers.com.au Guide to Australian Newspapers
- Ryerson Index to death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers
- National Library of Australia
- State Library of New South Wales Newspapers and media
- State Library of Queensland Newspapers
- State Library of South Australia SLSA Newspapers
- State Library Victoria