Atherstone, Warwickshire Genealogy
|County||Warwickshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Atherstone|
|Parish registers: 1825|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1825|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Warwickshire County Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Atherstone or Aderestone, is a market-town, a chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Mancetter, in the hundred of Hemlingford, Warwickshire. It is 20 miles NE of Warwick. The Trent Valley railway, completed in 1847, runs by the town. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary.
There are places of worship for Independents and Methodists.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
School records[edit | edit source]
- Admission Registers
- Log Books
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 108-112. Accessed and adapted 27 October, 2013.