Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire Genealogy
|Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire|
|County||Warwickshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Alcester|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1612|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Warwickshire County Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ASTON-CANTLOW (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Alcester, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Alcester. This place appears to have derived the adjunct to its name from the family of Cantelu, or Cantelupe, of whom William de Cantelupe received from Henry III.
The parish is intersected by the river Alne, on the left bank of which the village is situated. The Stratford canal also passes through. The chapel of St. Andrew, Wilncote, was built in the year 1841.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 104-108. Accessed and adapted 20 October, 2013.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.