Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Assumption Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Assumption Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana, United States Genealogy
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 31, 1807|
|Address||4809 Hwy 1|
Napoleonville, La 70390
Assumption Parish Clerk of Court Website
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 Parish Organization
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Obituaries
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 = Societies and Libraries
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Assumption Roman Catholic Church. The County has Napoleonville as its seat and the County was created 1807. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Assumption Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Assumption Parish Courthouse
105 Dr Martin Luther King Drive
PO Box 249
Napoleonville, LA 70390
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1800,
probate records from 1841, land records from
1788, divorce and court records from 1868Allen Parish Courthouse
PO Box G
Oberlin, LA 70655-2007
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate
and court records from 1913 .
Parish Organization[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse [edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
- 1807--Assumption Parish was created 31 March 1807 from Lafourche Parish.
Parish seat: Napoleonville 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Bible Records of Rosa Verna Folse Collins, Assumption Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Index to Assumption Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Assumption Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Assumption Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1810 - Assumption Parish Census Index - images. (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- 1810 - Assumption Parish 1810 Federal Census Transcript USGenWeb Archives)
- 1880 - Assumption Parish 1880 Mortality Schedule (Genealogy Trails)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- 1913-1954 - Catholic Church Burial Records for Assumption Parish, Louisiana, 1913-1954 (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
- Index to Court Records of Assumption Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- History of Assumption Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1882-1913 - Certification of Doctors and Dentists, Assumption Parish, Louisiana, 1882-1913 (USGenWeb Archives)
Maps[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1883 - Assumption Parish Louisiana, Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Company H. (Assumption): The 28th Thomas' Louisiana Infantry Regiment (USGenWeb Archives)
- Company K - 8th Louisiana Infantry, The Phoenix Company - Ascension & Assumption Parishes (USGenWeb Archives)
- Discharge paper for Demophon LeBlanc, 18th Regiment of Louisiana Infantry (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company H
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1918 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1918 - Officers and Enlisted Men Who Lost Their Lives, Assumption Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Index of Newspaper Records - Scroll down to "Newspaper Records" in the right-hand column. (USGenWeb Project)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Index to Assumption Parish Obituaries and Deaths (USGenWeb Archives)
- Assumption Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1857 - M. St. Julien de Tournillon Obituary: 1857 (USGenWeb Project)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1805 - Certificate of Marriage for Maria Ferlot and Alexis Lefort (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana, Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — How to Use this Collection
- 1900-1914 - Death Dates from the Book of Marie Aucoin, Assumption Parish, Louisiana, 1900-1914 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1913-1954 - Catholic Church Burial Records for Assumption Parish, Louisiana, 1913-1954 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1917 - Assumption Parish, Louisiana, 1917 Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
= Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Terrebonne Genealogical Society
PO Box 20295
Houma, LA 70360-0295
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Affiliate Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Assumption Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Assumption Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Genealogy Trails: Assumption Parish, Louisiana
- Assumption Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Assumption, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Assumption Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Assumption Parish, Louisiana p. 290 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Assumption Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_Parish%2C_Louisiana, accessed 30 December 2019.