Ashford, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Ashford, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Devon, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Barnstaple|
|Parish registers: 1701|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1596|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Heritage Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ASHFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. W.) from Barnstaple. There is a place of worship for General Baptists; another, originally founded by the nonconformist divine, William Bagshaw, styled the Apostle of the Peak, has been subsequently used by different sects.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Ashford, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ashford, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Websites[edit | edit source]
Ashford on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 85-88. Date accessed: 18 June 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 19 February 2014.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.