Armitage, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Armitage, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Staffordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Lichfield|
|Parish registers: 1673|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Hansacre and Armitage|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ARMITAGE (St. John), with Handsacre, a parish, in the union of Lichfield, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles(E. S. E.) from Rugeley. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Armitage parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ARMITAGE ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH CHURCH (1623) Online Records|
|FREG||1623-1626, 1663-1666, 1673-1950
||1623-1626, 1633-1666, 1673-1836, 1874-1930||1623-1626, 1663-1666, 1673-1966|
- Armitage St John the Baptist Ancient Parish Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1662-1967 Mar 1662- 1989 Bur 1662-1992 Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap1623-1861 Mar 1623-1836 Bur 1823-1861
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire FreeReg and can be searched for free.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Armitage Independent Chapel parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|INDEPENDENT CHAPEL (1821) Online Records|
Cemetery Records[edit | edit source]
The following MIs were kindly contributed by Alf Beard:
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Armitage, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 Jan 2015.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8