Arlingham, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Arlingham, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wheatenhurst|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1573|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ARLINGHAM (St. Mary The Virgin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Newnham. The parish is situated on a nook of land formed by a curvature of the Severn, by which river it is bounded on three sides, and across which is a ferry to Newnham .There is a place of worshipfor Wesleyans. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Arlingham, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|ARLINGHAM PARISH Online Records|
|AC||1813-1911||1813-1911||1754-1938||1754-1938||1813-1884, 1906-1911||1813-1884, 1906-1911|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 69-73. Date accessed: 09 April 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 16 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 20 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 24 June 2016.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 5 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
Add any additional relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.