Arkansas Church Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Arkansas Church Marriages, 1860-1976
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Arkansas|
|Location of Arkansas|
|Various churches and Arkansas History Commission, Little Rock|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes selected church marriages for the years 1860-1976. Many of the records are from Columbia, Monroe and Sebastian counties. The collection may also have some other types of records mixed in.
- Columbia County
- New Hope Baptist Church
- Barge's Chapel. Methodist Protestant
- Atlanta Baptist Church
- Bethlehem Baptist Church
- Monroe County
- Cumberland Presbyterian Church
- Presbyterian Church
- Methodist Episcopal Church,South
- Sebastian County
- St. John's Episcopal Church
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
The records are written in German and English. For help reading them see:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Arkansas Church Marriages, 1860-1976.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the bride and groom
- The location or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County, Town
- Select the Church and Parish
- Select the Record Type and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
- Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members
I Found the Person I was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other vital records, such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death records
- Search census records to find additional family members
- Search for a civil marriage record
- Search for other county records, such as probate, land, and tax
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Arkansas.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Historical Record Survey. A directory of churches and religious organizations in the state of Arkansas, 1942. Little Rock, Arkansas : Historical Records Survey, 1942
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.