Ardleigh, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Ardleigh, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Mary Ardleigh Essex contributor Peter Stack
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tendring|
|Parish registers: 1555|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Ardleigh (St. Mary), is a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N division of Essex, 4 3/4 miles NE from Colchester; containing 1605 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Ardleigh parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ardleigh Online Parish Records|
|FREG||1664-1967||1664-1833, 1837-1900, 1923-1963||1664-2001|
Online images are available Essex Record Office Images available for Ardleigh St Mary the Virgin and Ardleigh Wesleyan Methodist Church
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Census of 1796, 1811-1821. In addition to the above censuses, the vicar of Ardleigh in 1796, and other years, enumerated the inhabitants of this parish for these years.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Ardleigh on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: accessed date 3 May 2013
- ‘British Isles Vital Records Index, “Genoot,” accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 4 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.