Applecross, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Guide to Applecross, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland ancestry, family history, and genealogy:transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

History[edit | edit source]

The parish of Applecross, in Gaelic is called, Comaraich, and is divided into three large districts; Applecross; Lochs, consisting of Torridon and Shieldag; the third being Kishorn. This parish includes Shieldaig and Kishorn.  The Applecross district was formerly occupied by a body of Roman Catholic priests, whose residence afforded an asylum from the motives of piety, or to escape from punishment for criminal actions, sought such a place for protection.  Hence the name Comaraich, a place of safety.  The modern name, Applecross, was given to the parish by the gentleman who was proprietor of the Comaraich estate, at the time it was built.  In commemoration of the event five apple trees were planted cross ways in the garden.

There is no market-town in the parish, nor within many miles of it.

The landowners are, Thomas Mackenzie, Esq. of Applecross; J.A. Stewart Mackenzie, Esq. of Seaforth; and Sir F.A. Mackenzie of Gairloch, Bart.

The parish church is very poorly situated, having very few inhabitants near it, and lying on the north side of a river, without a bridge over it, which frequently prevents the people from attending church.  They often, however, wade the water, and sit in church during service with wet feet and wet clothes, which no doubt causes many serious complaints among them.  The parish church was built in 1817, and is in good repair.  It is large enough to accommodate upwards of 600 sitters, and there are no seat rents.  There are some registers of baptisms and marriages, commencing in 1779, but they have not been regularly kept.

In the year 1790, the population was 1734.  According to the census in 1831, the number was 2892; of whom 1450 were males, and 1442 females.  Baptisms are from 60 to 70; and marriages 25-30. 

Source: New Statistical Account of Scotland, written September 1836; FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2, vol 14. 

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]

Record Type Years Covered FHL Film Number
Birth: 1797-1854 0990577 item 2
Marriage: 1797-1854 0990577 item 2
Death: No entries none

Condition of Original Registers—[edit | edit source]

Index: For an index to these records, see Scotland’s People website, a pay-for-view website. The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  Some records may also be indexed in other FamilySearch collections for Scotland.
Births: Not carefully kept. Birth records are intermixed with marriage records.
Marriages: Marriages are intermixed with births. Separate records 1797–1811.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.

Established Church—Kirk Session Records[edit | edit source]

Minutes and Accounts 1779–1862
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/914.

Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]

Applecross Free Church[edit | edit source]

Almost all of the population in this district adhered to the Free Church in 1843. A church was built in 1845, but a minister was not settled until 1859.
Membership: 1861, 400; 1900, 23.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source, including ministers.

The extent of records is unknown.

Shieldaig and Torridon Free Church[edit | edit source]

The minister of Shieldaig, and almost all of the people adhered to the Free Church in 1843. The Assembly of 1864 recognized Shieldaig as a Disruption charge. A minister was settled in 1872. The church and manse were erected in 1877. Torridon was severed from Shieldaig in 1890 and placed under the minister of Applecross. In 1892 most of the Shieldaig residents became Free Presbyterians. In 1894 Torridon and the congregation at Shieldaig were reunited. A section did not enter the Union in 1900.
Membership: 1866, 600; 1900, 34.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source, including ministers.

The extent of what records exist or their availability is unknown.

Poorhouse Records[edit | edit source]

There are three poorhouses:

Black Isle Combination I (Fortrose)

Easter Ross Combination (Tain)

Lews (Lewis) Combiation