Antony, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Antony, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Cornwall, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||St Germans|
|Registration District||St Germans|
|Parish registers: 1677|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ANTONY, a parish and a sub district, in the district of St. Germans, Cornwall. The parish is called also Anthony-in-East and St. Jacob Anthony; lies on Lynher creek and the Hamoaze, 4 miles S of Saltash railway station and 4 SE of St. Germans. 
Antony St James the Great is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: St Jacob, West Antony, and Wilcove.
The medieval parish church is located in Antony at OS grid reference SX 399 547. Dedicated to St James, the church includes structural elements from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The church houses memorials to members of the Carew family of Antony (18th century) and a large monumental brass to Margery Arundell, 1420.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Antony parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Antony Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Antony.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdictions over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary Jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable Websites are:
Websites[edit | edit source]
Antony in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Adapted. Accessed 20 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.