Alabama, Confederate Pension Applications - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Alabama, Confederate Pension Applications, ca. 1880-1930's
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Alabama|
|Location of Alabama|
|Record Type||Pension Applications|
|Alabama Department of Archives and History|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Pension applications files of the Alabama Pension Commission of Confederate Veterans living in Alabama. The images of the files were acquired from the Alabama Department of Archives and History in Montgomery, Alabama.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections. Related Collections
- Applications for relief by maimed Confederate soldiers. FamilySearch Catalog
- State Auditor. Confederate Pensioner's Records, 1865-1939. Container Listing. Alabama Archives
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
- Name of spouse
- Rank of soldier
- Where enlisted
- Branch of service
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The name of spouse
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the pension applications to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, land and death records
- Use the information to find additional family members
- Search for the service record for the individual who served in the military
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Alabama.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- Beginning United States Civil War Research
- Locating a Confederate Civil War Soldier (1861–1865)
- Alabama Guided Research
- Alabama Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Alabama Confederate Pensions FamilySearch Catalog
- Alabama Confederate Pensions Cherokee County FamilySearch Catalog
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Alabama Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Census of Confederate Veterans, 1907, 1921, 1927
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.