|Aberdeenshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
164 King St.
Aberdeen AB24 5BD UK
Telephone: 01224 646323
Website: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
Website #2: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
Website #3: Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society
- The Aberdeen & North-East Scotland Family History Society exists to assist and promote the study of genealogy and family history based on the North-East corner of Scotland. This area covers the old counties of Aberdeenshire, Banffshire, Kincardineshire, and Morayshire. We also hold records for the whole of Scotland and a considerable amount of data on the rest of the U.K. as well as many places around the world where Scots can be found, which I suppose includes the whole world.
Family History Society of Buchan
22 Harbour Street
Peterhead AB42 1D UK
Telephone: 01779 238416
Website: Family History Society of Buchan
Website #2: Family History Society of Buchan
- The Society promotes and supports the study of genealogy and family history research within the historic area of Buchan. The Buchan area dates back to the Middle Ages and encompasses the North East of Scotland from the River Deveron in the west to the River Ythan in the south.
- This is a Family History Society serving the Buchan area of North Aberdeenshire and East Banff. Especially Ellon, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banff and all points in between.
North of Scotland Archaeological Society
Dingwall Community Centre
Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty IV15 9JZ UK
Website: North of Scotland Archaeological Society
Website #2: North of Scotland Archaeological Society
- The main objectives of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society are to further the study of archaeology in the North of Scotland and to promote that interest to a wider audience. Our membership extends across Ross-shire, Sutherland, Caithness, Aberdeenshire, Inverness-shire, and Argyll. We all share an avid enthusiasm for Highland archaeology.
Local Societies[edit | edit source]
Alford Local History Group
Alford Community Campus
Alford AB33 8TY UK
Telephone: 019755 62803
Website: Alford Local History Group
Ballater Local History Group
Victoria and Albert Halls
c/o Ballater Library
Ballater AB35 5QB UK
Telephone: 013397 55396
Website: Ballater Local History Group
- The objectives of BLHG shall be to cater to the wide range of interests within the community in the history of Ballater and its environs and to raise awareness among members of BLHG and the community at large of the historical value of Ballater.
- The Society was founded in order to keep alive in a fast-changing world all the old and true traditions of Buchan in Music, Song, Verse, Drama, and Olde Tyme Dance.
- The Cromar History Group is a group of people interested in learning about and preserving local history and making it accessible to everyone.
- The Society organises talks, walks, and takes an interest in the history of Ellon and the surrounding area.
- The society has been collecting artefacts and information relating to the history of the Garioch from its earliest times to the present day.
- The specific objectives of LHS are to promote and preserve the built and natural heritage and culture of the village of Lumphanan and in particular to encourage awareness and interest in its historic buildings and the history of the community; to promote, protect and conserve the natural environment in the village and its immediate surrounds; and to advance citizenship and community development by encouraging and engendering a sense of ownership of the heritage of the village within the community and encouraging community participation and citizenship across all ages.
- The society is dedicated to preserving and conserving the history and heritage of Methlick and the surrounding area by recording oral testimonies, and collecting and preserving artefacts, paper records, and pictures for the benefit of the village and wider community. The society is also tasked with promoting the study of local history and engaging with young people to help them appreciate their local heritage.
- The Old Aberdeen Heritage Society was founded for the preservation and protection of Old Aberdeen. The objectives of the Society shall be to stimulate public interest in and concern for the beauty, history and traditional character of Old Aberdeen and its environs; to encourage the preservation and restoration of traditional and historic features in Old Aberdeen, especially of its buildings, thoroughfares, gardens and open spaces; generally to pursue the objects of the Society by means of meetings, exhibitions, lectures, publications, correspondence, publicity, and by any other means as shall seem fitting to the Society.
- The main aim of the Society is to collect photographs, documents, memories, and other material relating to the history of the Parish of Skene, including the town of Westhill, for the benefit of future generations. We will also publish relevant material. The area covered includes Kirkton of Skene, Garlogie, Lyne of Skene, Elrick, and the growth and development of Westhill.
Turriff & District Heritage Society
Turriff AB53 4EN UK
Telephone: 01888 562800
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Turriff & District Heritage Society
- Our mission is to preserve the past of Turriff for the future.