8th Regiment, Vermont Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 8th Regiment, Vermont Infantry was organized at Brattleboro and mustered in February 18, 1862.
The regiment mustered out June 28, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 8th Vermont Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 8th Vermont Infantry, accessed 21 November 2011.
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Monument to the 8th Vermont Infantry, (accessed 27 December 2020).
- Civil War in the East, 8th Vermont Infantry Regiment, (accessed 3 April 2013).
- Carpenter, Geo. N. (George Nathaniel). History of the Eighth Regiment, Vermont volunteers, 1861-1865. (Boston, Massachusetts : Press of Deland & Barta, 1886), FHL Film 874060 Item 2
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 16 January 2011).