81st Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at New Albany, Indiana, and mustered in August 29, 1862. Were in operations in East Tennessee March 15-April 22. At Nashville till June. They mustered out June 13, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 81st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 81st Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Floyd, Crawford, Washington, Clark, and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 308
- Company B - many men from Clark County - see Roster on page 309
- Company C - many men from Floyd and Clark counties - see Roster on page 311
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 312
- Company E - many men from Harrison County - see Roster on page 314
- Company F - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 315
- Company G - many men from Perry County - see Roster on page 316
- Company H - many men from Crawford County - see Roster on page 318
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 319
- Company K - many men from Perry and Harrison counties - see Roster on page 321
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 322
81st Regiment, Indiana Infantry companies with counties and rosters on the Civil War Index.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 82th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 81st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 81st Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry (accessed 2 January 2019) are history, roster, service, staff, & etc..
- Morris, G. W. (1901). History of the Eighty-First Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry: In the Great War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, telling of its origin and organization, a description of the material of which it was composed, its rapid and severe marches, hard service and fierce conflicts on many bloody fields, pathetic scenes, amusing incidents and thrilling episodes, a regimental roster, prison life, adventures, etc. (Louisville, Ky: Franklin Print. Co.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084419 (3 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE Allen Library
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "The Military History of Clark County," chapters 18-19 in Baird, Lewis C. 1972. Baird's history of Clark County, Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic) (page 178-205, Regiment, Companies) 977.2185 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection, At various libraries (WorldCat), Internet Archive