6th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Kentucky in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kentucky in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kentucky, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Bush, W.C. The Civil War Diary of First Sergeant Squire Helm of Company B. of the Sixth Kentucky Mounted Infantry Regiment, Volunteers, Confederate States of America. Huntsville, Ala., 1975. FHL Book 921.73 A1 no. 141 (Book Storage 0237711).
- Davis, William C. The Orphan Brigade: The Kentucky Confederates Who Couldn't Go Home. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1980. FHL Book 976.9 M2d.
- Hodge, George B. Sketch of the First Kentucky Brigade. Frankfort, Ky.: Printed at the Kentucky Yeoman Office, Major & Johnston, 1874. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Fiche 6082416.
- Reinhart, Joseph R. A history of the 6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry U.S. : the boys who feared no noise. ([Louisville? Kentucky: J. R. Reinhart], c2000), FHL book 976.9 M2re
- Thompson, Edwin Porter. History of the Orphan Brigade. 1868; reprint, Louisville, Ky.: L.N. Thompson, 1898. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Fiche 6082418 (14 fiche). 1868 edition at Internet Archive. Includes sketches, biographies, and rosters of 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 9th Infantry Regiments.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).