38th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This regiment was organized near Decatur, Georgia, during the summer of 1861. National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).</ref>
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 116
- Company A - ("DeKalb 'Murphy' Guards") DeKald County - see - Roster on page 118 (History on page 131); USGenWeb; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Georgia Volunteer Infantry") Muscogee County - see - Roster on page 134; USGenWeb; USGenWeb
- Company C - Bulloch and Emanuel counties - see - Roster on page 145; USGenWeb; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("McCullough Rifles") Dekalb County - see - Roster on page 153 (History on page 156); USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Tom Cobb Infantry") Oglethorpe County - see - Roster on page 157; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Thornton Line Volunteers") Elbert and Hart counties - see - Roster on page 167; USGenWeb
- Company G - ("Battey Guards") Jefferson County - see - Roster on page 177; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Goshen Blues") Elbert County - see - Roster on page 185; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Dawson Farmers") Dawson County - see - Roster on page 198;
- Company I - Evan's Brigade, Gordon's Division, Wright's Legion - see - Roster on page 204; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("Dekalb and Fulton 'Bartow' Avengers") DeKalb county - see - Roster on page 210; USGenWeb
- Company L - Dawson County - see - Roster on page 218; USGenWeb
- Company M - ("Jo Thompson Lancers") no county given - see - Roster on page 231;
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
This website(users.erols.com/brant/GeorgiaBrigade/organization) gives additional sources for counties of origin.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Higginbotham, George Daniel. Genealogy of the Higginbotham family. FHL film 209590 Item 3