35th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (5th Infantry) (1st Mountain Rifle Regiment)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 35th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (5th Infantry) (1st Mountain Rifle Regiment) was organized during September, 1861, at Camp Smartt, near McMinnville, Tennessee. At Chickamauga on April 26, 1865, it surrendered. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captains Albert C. Hanner, R.B. Roberts - Men from Grundy County.
- 2nd Company A, formerly Company B - Captains John W. Towles (Towls), William H. Large, G.N.M. Newby - Men from Warren County.
- 2nd Company B, formerly Company C - Captains Charles M. forrest, Thomas B. Rust - Men from Warren County.
- 2nd Company C, formerly, Company E - Captains W.B. Cummings, G.M. Cummings - Men from Van Buren County.
- Company D - Captains Benjamin J. Hill, William T. Christian - Men from Warren County.
- 2nd Company D, formerly Company F - Captains John Mason, Riley B. Roberts, L.P. carson - Men from Warren County.
- 2nd Company E, formerly Company G - Captains James H. Woods, S.M. Gunter - Men from Cannon County.
- 2nd Company G, formerly Company H - Captains Edward J. Wood, H.S. Fowler, John B. Blair - Men from Warren County.
- 2nd Company H, formerly Company K - Captains W.D. Stewart, George S. Deakins, L.L. dearman, H.T. Kell - Men from Sequatchie County.
- Company I - Captains John Pack, L.L. Dearman - Men from DeKalb County. Some from Hamilton County and Bledsoe Counties. 
Fifth Regiment of Tennessee Volunteer Infantry-later Thirty-fifth Regiment
Was organized at Camp Smartt, September 6, 1861.
Company B (Captain John W. Towles) - many men from Warren County
Company C (Captain Charles W. Forrest) - many men from Warren County
Company D (Captain W. T. Christian) - many men from Warren County
Company F (Captain Ed. J. Wood) - many men from Warren County
Company H (Captain John Macon) - many men from Warren County
The information above is found in The Goodspeed Histories, Vol. 4.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls of the 35th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 492.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 35th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The First Tennessee Mountain Rifle Regiment Co. H, 35th TN Inf. 35th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- The Thirty-fifth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).