32nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Dubuque and mustered in October 6, 1862. They mustered out August 24, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 32nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 26 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 32nd Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Iowa in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Iowa in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Iowa, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Airy, Mildred. Airy family genealogical notes, ca. 1778-1978. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978), FHL film 1026649 Item 1.