25th Regiment, Michigan Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Organized at: Kalamazoo, Michigan. Mustered in: September 22, 1862.
Mustered out: June 24, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article,25th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 18 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 25th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Twenty-Fifth Infantry]. Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905. FHL Fiche 6084689 . Other Libraries.
- Seeking Michigan Website. Gives regimental history. Brief information on some soldiers and officers. Some images. (accessed 23 Aug 2011)
- Travis, B. F. "The Story of the Twenty-Fifth Michigan" (Kalamazoo, Michigan: Kalamazoo Pub. Co, 1897). Google Books. FHL Film 1490884. Other Libraries.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).