20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Lafayette, Indiana, and mustered in July 22, 1861. They were ordered back and mustered out July 12,1865, at Indianapolis, Indiana.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 20th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 3 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 20th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Note: The roster feature is no longer functioning. You can find individual soldiers by searching the National Park Service The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Reorganized Officer - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Miami County - see Roster on page 411
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Randolph Country - see Roster on page 432
- Company B - many men from Lake County - see Roster on page 413
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier from Vigo County - see Roster on page 434
- Company C - many men from Marshall County - see Roster on page 415
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Noble, Tippecanoe, Boone, Greene, Fayette, and Ohio counties - see Roster on page 435
- Company D - many men from Fountains County - see Roster on page 417
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of Carroll, Marshall, Porter,Lake, and Jefferson counties - see Roster on page 436
- Company E - many men from La Porte County - see Roster on page 419
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Hancock, Decatur, Delaware, and Randolph counties - see Roster on page 437
- Company F - many men from Cass County - see Roster on page 420
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier of Cass, Marion, Tippecanoe, Jefferson, and Porter counties - see Roster on page 439
- Company G - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 422
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Johnson,Decatur, Ripley and [Howard_County,_Indiana|Howard]]counties - see Roster on page 440
- Company H - many men from Marion County - see Roster on page 424
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Wabash, Miami, Marion, Vigo, and Greene counties - see Roster on page 442
- Company I - many men from Porter County - see Roster on page 427
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier of Marion, Wayne, Madison, and Johnson counties - see Roster on page 443
- Company K - many men from White County - see Roster on page 429
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier of Fountain, White, Tippecanoe, and Lake counties - see Roster on page 444
- unassiged recuits - see Roster on page 431
- unassiged recuits - Reorganized Soldier - see Roster on page 446
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 20th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) articile on the 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 20th Indiana Infantry Regiment (accessed 20 Dec 2010) timeline
- 20th Indiana Infantry Monument (accessed 30 Dec 2010)
Gage, M. D. From Vicksburg to Raleigh ; Or, a Complete History of the Twelfth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry and the Campaigns of Grant and Sherman with an Outline of the Great Rebellion. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Company, 1998.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084372 (4 fiche) FHP|669380|item|disp=FHL Collection other library Gooble books Internet Achive
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).