1st Regiment, United States Lancers, Michigan Cavalry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 1st Regiment, United States Lancers, Michigan was organized at: Detroit, Saginaw and St. John, Michigan from November 30, 1861 to February 20, 1862. It was mustered out: March 20, 1862.
1st Regiment, United States Lancers, Michigan Cavalry article on Wikipedia gives a brief history of the unit
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company D - Many men from Essex County - see Roster
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States War Department. "United States. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations". (Washington: National Archives and Records Service, 1964)FHL Film 1488536. Other Libraries.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).