17th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 17th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut and was mustered in August 28, 1862. This regiment was mustered out on the 19th of July, 1865 at Hilton Head, Beaufort County, South Carolina. 
For more information about the 17th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - The Seventeenth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). The Stamford Historical Society Inc.
- The Civil War Archive section, 17th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 April 2012).
Companies in this Regiment[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut, but the majority of men in each unit resided in Fairfield County:
Company A -
Company B -
Company C -
Company D -
Company E -
Company F -
Company G -
Company H -
Company I -
Company K -
Company Rosters[edit | edit source]
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 574. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 665. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- A New Canaan Private in the Civil War: Letters from a Private of the 17th Connecticut Infantry, by Justus M. Silliman and Edward Marcus. This book can be found at www.worldcat.org, (accessed 9 Mar 2011).
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 17th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, Inc., (accessed 9 Mar 2011). History and Roster.
- Seventeenth Connecticut Volunteer Association. Reunion (17th: 1883 : Fairfield, Connecticut). Seventeenth annual reunion of the 17th Regiment C.V.I. : held at Fairfield, Conn., August 28th, 1883. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6082944
- United States. Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 17th (1862-1865). 17th Connecticut Volunteers at Gettysburg : June 30th and July 1, 2d and 3d, 1884. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6082945
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010.