175th Regiment, New York Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 175th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized in New York during September and October, 1862 under Colonel Michael K. Bryan, Lieutenant Colonel John A. Foster and Major John Gray. In January,1865 they were given duty at Savannah, Georgia until November, 1865 when they were mustered out on November 29, 1865.  
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 175th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 22 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Companies D, E - principally recruited from Rochester, Monroe County; Schenectady, Schenectady County; Plattsburg, Clinton County; Lodi, Seneca County; Hornby, Steuben County; Virgil, Harford, and Lapeer of Cortland County; and Hector, Schuyler County.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army: a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (accessed March 2011)
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project: New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912). (accessed May 2011) See the page for 175th Regiment, "Further Reading" at bottom, for more source information. See link for "Newspaper Clippings" for additional regimental history.
- Hawks, Steve. The Civil War in the East. Database. (accessed May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- New York. Adjutant General's Office. Annual report of the Adjutant General of the State of New York for the year 1905, FHL US/CAN Fiche #6083550 contains the register for the 175th New York Infantry.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY175.php (accessed October 4, 2011
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 171st Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/171stInf/171stInfMain.htm (accessed 25 August 2011) citing Frederick Phisterer, compiler. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).