14th Regiment Heavy Artillery (African Descent)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 14th Regiment Heavy Artillery (African Descent) was organized at Providence August 28, 1863, to January 25, 1864. It was mustered out at New Orleans October 2, 1865. Many of the men were from Newport County.
For more information see,
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Maine State Archives holds official items from the Civil War in their Archives.
Books and Films[edit | edit source]
- The Fourteenth regiment Rhode Island heavy artillery (colored) in the war to Preserve the Union - William H. Chenery. view online atGoogle books.com, gooboogeni.com and Archive,org
- Available to purchase at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble,Buy.com,Higginsonbooks.com,Nextag.comand Researchonline.net.
- A rare,first edition is available at Between the Covers.com.
- Addeman, Joshua M. (Joshua Melancthon). Reminiscences of two years with the colored troops. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL Fiche 6083322
- Chenery, William H. The Fourteenth Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery (colored) in the war to preserve the Union, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083323and Reminiscences of the Burnside expedition. FHL fiche 6083321
Internet sites[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia article on the 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery (Colored).
- Citizens of Color, 1863-1890: Military and Political Participation, Hartford Black History Project.
- All Men are Brothers, Tom Brooks.
The Rhode Island 11th United States Colored Heavy Artillery had originally been raised and organized as the 14th Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery.
- usgwarchives.net- Rhode Island Archives Military Records. rosters of 14th Regiment RI Heavy Artillery