13th Regiment, Vermont Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 13th Regiment, Vermont Infantry was organized at Brattleboro October 10, 1862. The regiment mustered out July 21, 1863.
For more information on the history of the13th Vermont Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article 13th Vermont Infantry, accessed 22 November 2011.
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The 13th Regiment was recruited in the counties of Washington, Chittenden, Lamoille and Franklin.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sturtevant, Ralph Orson. Pictorial history Thirteenth Regiment Vermont Volunteers, war of 1861- 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083405 and FHL book US VT M 2s Logan UT Reg Fmly Hstry Ctr and digitized and (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Utah State Archives, 1981), FHL film 2029934
- Civil War in the East, 13th Vermont Infantry Regiment, (accessed 3 April 2013).
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 17 January 2011).