Åkra Parish, Rogaland, Norway Genealogy
Guide to Åkra, Norway ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records
Åkra is in the Karmøy Region. Other parishes in this region include Karmøy the parishes of Avaldsnes, Kopervik (Stangeland), Skudenes, Skudeneshavn, Torvastad (Torvestad), Falnes, Ferkingstad and Åkra.
|Amt 1689-1919||1662-1682: Stavanger stiftamt, 1682-1919: Stavanger amt|
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Åkra is a parish in Kopervik clerical district. Prior to 1887 it was a parish in Skudenes clerical district. Earlier records for Åkra parish burned in 1841. Records begin in 1848. However, there is a record arranged alphabetical by farm listing families living on each farm which fills in much of the information from 1770.
Microfilms at the Family History Library cover the years: 1841-1905. See FamilySearch catalog for full details and microfilm numbers.
- Christenings (Døbte): 1841-1905
- Confirmations (Konfirmerte): 1842-1863
- Marriages (Viede): 1841-1863
- Stillborn (Dødfødte): 1841-1905
- Burials (Begravede): 1841-1905
- Vaccinations (Vaksinerte): 1842-1863
- Moving lists (Innflyttede og Utflyttede: 1841-1863
Digital images of the church books are available at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives).
Census Records[edit | edit source]
- For 1891 and earlier see Skudenes
- 1900: The 1900 census for Åkra is available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. It contains the persons name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, year of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information. Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives).
- 1910: The 1910 census for Åkra is available in a searchable database online at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives).
Court Records[edit | edit source]
- 1616-1701. The court records contain reports of civil and criminal actions, including the allodial rights, "odelssaker". You will find names, dates, places, and relationships in these records. The records have no indexes, therefore require time to study. They are excellent sources for genealogical research and at times you can find entire families through several generations. These records must be used in conjunction with the mortgage records, probate records, or other records.
Land Records[edit | edit source]
- 1670-1910: These mortgage records give information about real estate, conveyances, mortgages, and other transactions of properties. Contracts, agreements, and deeds are also recorded in these books. The panteregisters are extracts of these records. Digitised Real Estate Registers at Digitalarkivet.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
For 1666-1795 the probates are found in Ryfylke og Karmsund judicial district.
For 1793-1901 they are found in Karmsund judicial district.
The clerical probates for 1692-1812 are found in Karmsund deanery.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Farm Books[edit | edit source]
A genealogy of the people and a history of the farms in Åkra on Karmøy. Lillehammer, Arnvid, "Åkra" [S.l.]: Utgitt av bygdebokutvalget i Karmøy, 1980.
Family Group Record forms of the families living in the parishes Falnes, Ferkingstad, Akre and Bokn in Skudenes clerical district before Oct 1841. The parish records were destroyed in a fire in Oct 1841. These records were compiled from the priests survey (G.S. film number 126304) and from the 1758 and 1801 census records. These records are arranged in alphabetical order by the husbands first name.
"Families in Skudenes clerical district from 1670 to 1842," Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1980. FHL INTL Film 1124522 (Names 1670-1842, A - M) FHL INTL Film 1124523 Item 1 (Names 1670-1842, M - Z 1670-1800 A - V (Bokn).
Farm Book on the Internet[edit | edit source]
Karmøy Genealogy Club is creating an internet accessible listing of the families who have lived on Karmøy. The sources for this website are "Bygdebok for Karmøy," Norges Bybyggelse, notes of Johannes Mjølhus, the church books, probate records, census records, and private family information.
The family listings are by the farm which they lived on. The explanation of the website is in English but the family information is in Norwegian.
You will find a list of all the farms which are found in the modern Karmøy kommune. As the information comes available there will be a link from the table to the information on a specific farm. On the internet you will only find information of those inhabitants who had registered descendants. A more complete listing is found in the office in Skudeneshavn. You can E-mail inquires to Slektsforum.email@example.com.
Farm Names[edit | edit source]
17 Aadland nordre, 15 Aakre, 14 Aarvold
6 Haringstad, 7 Hjemmegjerdet
20 Liknes nedre
11 Mannes, 16 Mehaug, 4 Munkejord
15 Snarteberg, 12 Sæveland, 2 Sævik
8 Tangen, 13 Tjøsvold, 12 Træet, 10 Trælhaug
9 Varne, 5 Vea, 1 Vedøen
For additional information on the farms see above (Farmbooks on the internet), "Karmøy Genealogy Club". Open the page and click on "County Books".